Aug 20, 2012

Leaving the PhD behind...

As September rolls quickly towards us, I have been thinking a lot about my return to school (following a year LOA)...and I think I've decided that it's in my best interest to let it go.

I've spent four years of my life working on the PhD, and I'm halfway finished. But as much as I try to ready myself to write the comprehensive exams, I just can't find my passion for this anymore.

The fact is that I'm feeling the best now that I've felt in years. I'm loving my work and I don't need a PhD to do what I'm already doing...finishing it would mostly be an exercise in vanity.

I'm also worried that the stress of the comps might upset the delicate balance of health that I have fought so hard to achieve.

I used to feel that life without a PhD would be missing something...but I don't feel that way anymore. I'm actually happy with myself and my new-found health.

I have given myself two weeks to decide. But right now it feels like it is slipping away, more easily than I ever thought possible.





6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're feeling better!

    What have you been doing to keep yourself occupied this past year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey OMDG!

    What happened to your blog?? I checked in to catch up on your adventures and it's no longer there.

    Back in April, when I started noticing I was feeling better, I launched a counseling practice (counseling is my professional degree).

    I now have a thriving in-person practice and am building an online practice as well.

    It's wonderful to have my life back, I can't tell you what it feels like to wake up in the morning and actually be able to plan the day ahead!

    How's that baby of yours??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I closed the old one and started a new (hopefully more tactful -- ha we'll see) one. Email me at oldmdgirl at gmail if you want the new address.

      Delete
  3. So glad to hear your health is returning! It's amazing how different we feel when our stressers are gone.

    You go girl!!

    Looking forward to hearing about your new adventures!
    ((hugz))
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jamie,
    Thanks for the encouragement! I'm hoping to get blogging again...just with a new focus this time around :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Veronica ClementAugust 22, 2013 8:13 PM

    Well, if that what you really wanted, then it just fine. But, having a PhD degree can make a difference. It can be a good thesis ideas to have it as it can be a cushion for you if ever something happened to your job. Anyway, just keep us updated whether you continue the PhD journey.

    ReplyDelete