Feb 21, 2012

Penelope 1 - Depression 0

What does it feel like to fight depression?


It was an agonizing effort to push my body forward, despite having no neurons supporting my decision to move.


During the very worst of the dark, ugly feeling,  I forced myself out for a walk. The sun was too bright, the air was too cold. My legs felt like leaden. My heart was pounding.


But then a funny thing happened...about 40 minutes into my walk, I stopped noticing how crappy I was feeling and started noticing the trees, the ice on the walkway, the river...it was like the world outside my head suddenly started to materialize. I started feeling alive again.


In fact, I felt so good that I came home and did another two miles on the treadmill, logging in at over 10,000 steps!


And that is how I fought depression and won this round.

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing some times how much of a difference something like a walk can do. Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing what a walk can do, isn't it?

    The challenge is actually being able to go out when you're in the thick of depression. I was lucky I tackled it quickly. If it goes on too long, it's much harder.

    ReplyDelete